An easy fall recipe made with reduced apple cider and packed with the best flavors of the season. A must make this fall.
Free of gluten, soy, nuts and dairy.
This recipe makes 40 mini doughnuts or 12 regular size doughnuts. My favorite mini doughnut pan is Wilton 20-cavity Perfect Results Non-Stick Doughnut Pan.
Flour blend: I prefer to bake with Authentic Foods Classical flour blend because of its non-gritty texture, but there are many blends available. You can create a blend with a cup of brown rice flour, ½ cup tapioca starch and ½ cup potato starch.
Apple Cider Doughnuts
2 cups gluten free flour blend
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon konjac or xanthan gum
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup apple cider
1 large egg or 1 flaxseed egg
½ cup non-hydrogenated organic vegetable shortening
½ cup applesauce
½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
6 tablespoon organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoon extra light olive oil
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease doughnut pan and set aside.
- Simmer the apple cider in a small sauce pan over medium heat for 15 minutes. until liquid is reduced by half (1/2 cup). Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, konjac, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate large bowl cream together the shortening and sugar for about 3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add egg, apple sauce and apple cider. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix slowly making sure to scrape the sides. Do not over mix.
- Pour or pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan, filling each mold about 3/4 full, to get properly raised doughnuts.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for a few minutes.
- To make the cinnamon sugar topping, in a small bowl whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush both sides of the doughnuts with the olive oil. Dip the doughnuts into the cinnamon sugar mixture until fully coated.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Enjoy!