Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, dairy-free
These bars combine four different flours for just the right texture. Brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch and quinoa flour. Make them with a decadent fig filling or a favorite jam. The perfect afternoon snack with just the right amount of sweetness.
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
3/4 teaspoon konjac or xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup non hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rice milk or non-dairy milk substitute
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of fig jam or spread
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, konjac powder and sea salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the shortening, milk, vinegar and vanilla extract.
3. Stir in the dry ingredients. Beat the dough on medium speed until it comes together. Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using your hands gather the dough into a ball.
5. Split the dough in half and place each half between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out each to 1/4-inch thickness.
6. Spread the fig jam in one dough sheet. Top with other half dough sheet. Pinch around the edges with your fingers to seal. Place in a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for one hour.
7. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 10 bars, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.
8. Store the finish bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 5 days or refrigerate them for up to 2 weeks.
* Our favorite fig spread is Divina Fig Spread. It's gluten free, vegan and non-GMO.
* I prefer to make my own flour blend, but you don't have to. For this recipe the flours can be replace with 1 1/2 cup of the Bob's Red Mill All Purpose baking flour mix. It will give you a similar texture and taste.
Have you made this recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below! Don’t forget to take a picture and tag @preciseglutenfree on Instagram.