This tart recipe is an allergy friendly version, whether you prefer yours plain or frosted, these represent everything I love about baking. You can take simple ingredients and make something so satisfying and best of all homemade (makes 8 tarts).
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup Authentic Food's Steve Bread Flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon konjac or xanthan gum
2 tablespoons cane sugar
6 tablespoons non hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1/4 cup rice milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup jam of choice. We have also made them with enjoy life chocolate chunks.
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, sea salt, konjac and sugar.
2. Add shortening and using a pastry cutter mix with flour until large crumbs form
3. Mix together the rice milk, water and vanilla extract and add to the dry ingredients.
4. Mix until the dough forms. It should look like the picture below.
5. Roll out your dough on a floured surface until 1/4 mm thick.
6. With a pastry cutter or pizza cuter cut your pastry to 3-inch x 4-inch rectangles. You will need 2 for each tart.
7. Spoon the jam into half of the pastry and place the remaining crust on top of the tarts leaving half inch of space at the edges.
8. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let tarts cool completely.
9. If preferred add vanilla frosting over the pastry when ready to serve.
* You can freeze them, thaw them overnight and just heat up in the morning for a quick easy breakfast.